COMPETITIVE DANCE TERMS
Classes will begin on: Monday September 14, 2020
Last day of classes: Saturday June 5, 2021
Year-End Recital is on: Sunday June 6, 2021 (in the evening)
* All competitive students are required to dance at the year-end Recital.
CLASS / COMPANY PLACEMENTS:
- Every student at Premiere has been reviewed and assessed by the teachers in order to determine the placement level.
- The class levelling system put in place at Premiere Dance has been designed to accommodate the ability and ages of all of our dancers.
- Careful evaluation of technical ability, past performance, attendance, as well as age, is used by our staff in order to make decisions for the class placements.
- Please do not be concerned with the designation (name) of your child(ren)’s level or the designations of the other dancers in your child(ren)’s class.
- Although we try to accommodate each student’s life schedule, there may be conflict with family or other outside activities. A student will not be allowed to change to a higher class level. Should a conflict exist, a student and their family will be expected to adjust their personal schedule to honour their commitment to the program.
- Parents or students who have concerns regarding their placement should make an appointment with Carla for an evaluation and an opportunity to discuss concerns.
- All competitive students are required to be in ALL regular scheduled classes. This is a commitment from both the student and their parent/guardians.
- Ballet Attire:for the 2020/2021 season, restricted ballet attire may vary due to limitations/restrictions with our change rooms due to COVID-19 protocols – please see COMPETITIVE ATTIRE section.
- Choreographed Routines: upon completion, attendance is MANDATORY. The following are the allotted vacation times:
o Christmas Break: Monday December 21, 2020 – Friday January 1, 2021
o March Break: Monday March 15, 2021 – Friday March 19, 2021
- Injury: if a dancer is unable to dance due to injury, they are still expected to attend ALL classes and observe to stay up to date with dance choreography throughout the competitive season. See CANCELLATION POLICY for more details.
- Inclement Weather: For any possible inclement weather cancellation, please phone the office between 2:00pm and 3:00pm. A voicemail message will confirm any closures due to weather conditions. See CANCELLATION POLICY for more details.
- ALL CLASSES:all students are expected to wear appropriate dance attire as follows:
o Any crop top of your choice . . . and
o BLACK booty shorts or fitted leggings only.
- BALLET:all students taking part in ballet class will wear the following:
o Body suit: BLACK – Ainsley brand (empire waist, square neck, thicker straps – no velvet)
o Tights: PINK – Mondor #310 or #314 Pink Microfibre (convertible is recommended) or Capezio Stretch & Hold
o Shoes: MINI company and up to ADVANCE – So Danca Pink Canvas (sew elastics in an “X” pattern on shoes)
- NOTE: due to COVID protocols, our change room is temporarily closed so students may be restricted with changing from other dance wear to ballet wear.
- HIP HOP: all students should wear clothing and foot wear that is suitable to the hip hop style (baggy pants, leggings, high top shoes, combat boots, etc) . . .NOTballet clothes.
- PDI Branded Jacket: it is mandatory attire at all competitions. They are available for order and purchase in the late fall.
- Solos, Duets and/or Trios choreography:may be offered to selected students at the discretion of Carla and the PDI teachers. Extra choreography opportunities will be offered through a confidential email in mid-fall. Lessons will be scheduled outside of regular classes.
- Small Groups and/or Lines choreography:may be offered to selected students at the discretion of Carla and the PDI teachers. Extra choreography opportunities will be offered through a confidential email in mid-fall. Lessons will be scheduled outside of regular classes.
- Ballet Group choreography:if your child is selected for a ballet group they must participate.
o Mini and Junior groups: will compete in ballet during their regular scheduled class (there are no extra choreography fees)
o Inter, Senior and Advance groups: you will be selected for extra choreography (separate from regular scheduled classes with extra choreography fees).
- Please note:
o Students are chosen by the teachers’ on-going evaluations throughout a season to participate in any additional choreography. If a student has received past recommendations for various additional choreography, that does not guarantee continued recommendations.
o Students selected for Lines, Small Groups, or Solos/Duets/Trios, must first participate in the Line before accepting Small Groups, Solos, Duets, Trios.
- ON LINE / VIRTUAL CLASSES:
o This is an alternative class option to help allow students that may not be able to attend in studio classes due to illness or quarantine and remain up to date with choreography.
o This will become the replacement class should another government protocol or 2nd wave of COVID19 close businesses temporarily.
o No additional fees will be levied for online virtual classes. Monthly tuition fees will continue. No credits, refunds or partial refunds will be given.
- CANCELLATION POLICY:
o Monthly Tuition: should dancer/parent decide to leave the studio and cancel their membership to PDI during the season, they will be responsible for the full monthly payment of that month and any unpaid previous months. Cancellation takes place via a confirmed email with a read receipt and response by Carla.
o Missed Classes: Studio is not responsible and will not credit or refund for any missed classes by the student due to, but not limited to: illness, school studies or outings, personal family situations, holidays, etc.
o COVID-19 Quarantine: PLEASE NOTIFY THE STUDIO OR CARLA IMMEDIATELY IF STUDENT IS MISSING CLASS DUE TO EXPOSURE TO COVID-19. We will make available to this student an online viewing of the class so they may remain up to date with on-going choreography. No credit or refund.
o Inclement Weather: Studio will have a message and email posting of inclement weather where travel to the studio is potentially hazardous. These classes are not refundable and will be replaced by an online Virtual Class that same day and time. More information will be given on the day of an inclement weather situation.
o Paid Costume Deposits: paid costume deposits (from November 1) and all monies owing on costumes already in production are non-refundable. No credits, refunds or partial refunds.
o Choreography Fees: if choreography has already begun, full fees apply. No credits, refunds or partial refunds. If choreography has not begun, and fees have been paid by the student/parent, a full refund (minus administration fee of $25 + hst) will be given.
o Injury: based on a Doctor’s diagnosis and the duration of the injury:
- Short term injury: dancer will continue to attend their classes to observe any additions to the choreography. No credits, refunds or partial refunds are given.
- Long term injury: dependant on when the long term injury happens, items such as costume deposits, costume fees (stage of completion/production of costumes), competition fees, and choreography fees may not be able to be refunded or credited depending on the time of injury and diagnosis. Please ask us for more details or further explanation if needed.
BALLET (SYLLABUS CLASSES) and EXAMS:
- For students that have been selected to do the BALLET EXAM at the end of the dance year, there are additional fees (they vary from year to year).
- For students requiring added preparation in June for their exam, extra classes are available for additional fees.
COSTUME DEPOSITS and FEES:
- $100 non-refundable costume fee per group are due upon registration (via post-dated cheque for October 1) or via e-transfer on October 1, 2020.
- Costume deposits are not applicable to: Solos, Duets, Trio, or some Small Groups
- New costumes may range in price from $200 to $350 each.
- Costume deposits are non-refundable after November 1, 2020. No credits or refunds or partial refunds will be given after that date.
- Choreography CANNOTbegin until payment has been made in full.
- All Choreography fees must be paid in full by: December 15, 2020
- Choreography fees are non-refundable. No credits or refunds or partial refunds will be given.
COMPETITIONS / WORKSHOPS:
- PDI will be attending a minimum of 1 workshopthis season as a team from the Mini to Advanced levels. PRE-MINI COMPANY is not required to attend these workshops. These workshops are highly recommended, however, we do not make them mandatory.
- PDI will be attending 5 local/regional competitionsfor the 2020/2021 season.
- All competitions (dates) are attendance mandatory:
o No student will be exempt from any competition. This is a commitment that all families must honour throughout the year.
o Any competitive member not abiding by the rules of the competition or not showing up to the competition will be subject to disciplinary action and possible dismissal from the Competitive Company with no refunds, credits or partial refunds for any fees already paid and fees that are still outstanding.
- Competition schedules are generally available 1 to 2 weeks prior to the competition. The schedule will be emailed to all dancers/parents. Please ensure we have the correct email to get important information and schedules to you.
- Competition Entry Fees:
o Fees due according to each competition.
o Most competition fees are due in early December.
o Notification of fees will be emailed to all dancers/parents.
- Please ensure your child(ren) arrive to all competitions minimum 2 hours priorto scheduled “READY AND DRESSED” time. If your child is scheduled first thing in the morning, than 1 hour prior to scheduled time is sufficient.
- All students MUSTbe present for ALL their Awards Sessions.
o If your child does not attend their Awards and an overall award is being granted to your child, Premiere Dance will NOT honour their scholarship award.
o If your child is needed by the teacher to participate in a “warm up” session for a dance routine that is scheduled immediately after Awards Session, they will be excused at the discretion of the teacher and not penalized.
- Competition Hair Styles, Make-up, Shoes and tights:will be made available prior to the first competition. Should a parent/guardian/dancer require information, assistance or a guide as to expectations, please let the teacher or Carla know.
Thank you for choosing Premiere Dance Inc.